So you’ve got into the JET Programme! Congratulations, that’s awesome, but what next??
In this episode, Thomas gives you a preview of what’s coming up next and what you can be doing right now. Breaking it down by month, here’s the Cole’s Notes version of what he mentions:
1. Start learning Japanese
– Genki textbooks
2. Pay attention to your consulate
– Attend events
– Get to know other departing JETs
3. Look into getting a nice camera
4. Get in touch with your predecessor
– Get them to write your a personal guide to your placement
– See if they can carry over the internet to you
– Be suspicious if they try to sell you their things
5. Connect to local groups
– Primarily regional AJET groups and prefectural Facebook groups
6. Get you documents in order
– Prescriptions, international driving permits, etc.
7. Start planning goodbye parties/having ‘final dinners’
– Don’t bring your entire wardrobe
– Definitely pack some business attire
– Lots of cheap souvenirs for everyone
– Whatever is direly important to you, even if you have to pay a bit of extra to bring it with you
– $1500+ cash is definitely a safe bet
9. Enjoy your final month
For ALL of the details, give the podcast a listen!
If you liked this episode, please subscribe on iTunes to so that you can get the next episode as soon as it comes out.